World News

Smotrich is staying… Ben Gvir and ministers in his party intend to resign from the government tomorrow

 Hebrew media reported, on Saturday evening, that Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir will announce his resignation on Sunday along with his party ministers, noting that Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich decided to stay despite his opposition to the agreement with Hamas. Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported: Hebrew that the “Otzma Yehudit” party He announced that after what he called the “kidnapping deal” Which will enter into force tomorrow, Sunday, “He will submit letters of resignation from the government and the coalition tomorrow morning.”

The newspaper indicated that, accordingly, “Minister of National Security Itamar Ben Gvir, Minister of the Negev and Galilee Yitzhak Waserloff, and Minister Heritage Amichai Eliyahu, in addition to the committee chairs, Knesset member Limor Son Har Malik, and Knesset member Zvika Vogel.”

She reported The newspaper reported that Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich announced that he “strongly opposes the hostage deal,” adding that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “gave the green light to a disastrous deal that poses a threat to Israeli national security and hinders many of the war’s achievements.”

Smotrich added: “We demanded and received a commitment to completely change the method of warfare in order to reach a complete decision through gradual control of the entire Gaza Strip. We have done everything “It is in our power to prevent the deal.”

However, according to the newspaper, Smotrich “did not announce his resignation from the government after the deal.” In the same context, “Channel 12” confirmed Hebrew, that Smotrich, "decided to remain in the government" After reaching a ceasefire agreement in Gaza. “The channel reported that Smotrich made his decision after “an agreement with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to implement all the goals of the war, including destroying the capabilities of the Hamas movement.”

It is reported that during the session in which the security cabinet voted On Friday morning in favor of the agreement, Netanyahu said in an apparent attempt to appease Smotrich: “We received unequivocal guarantees from both presidents – Biden and Trump – that if the second phase fails… As long as Hamas does not accept our security demands, we will return to intense fighting with the support of the United States.”

The Israeli Broadcasting Corporation reported on Friday that “Netanyahu agreed to Smotrich’s conditions regarding the return of the Israeli army to fighting and control of aid.” Humanitarian Affairs, and the commission added that significant progress had been made in the talks between the two sides.

Earlier, Smotrich described the ceasefire agreement as a “dangerous deal.” On the security of Israel, stressing that their continuation in the government depends on assurances that the war will continue with greater force.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office announced that the Council of Ministers had approved an agreement with the Hamas movement to cease fire and release Hostages in Gaza, a day before the agreement was scheduled to enter into force. On Thursday evening, Israeli Minister of National Security Itamar Ben Gvir held a press conference in Tel Aviv amid mounting speculation about his intention to submit his resignation from the current government.

During the conference, Ben Gvir expressed his strong opposition to the ceasefire agreement. Fire, which was negotiated to end military operations in Gaza, describing the agreement as a “bad deal.” Represents "submission" To the Palestinian factions.

Ben Gvir said: “I will announce my resignation from the government if the Gaza agreement is reached.” Israel and Hamas agreed With the mediation of Qatar, Egypt and the United States, a ceasefire was agreed for a period of 42 days, starting tomorrow, Sunday, January 19.

The agreement will enter into force tomorrow, Sunday, at 08:30 local time in Gaza.

It includes The agreement has three stages, with the first stage expected to extend for six weeks, during which 33 Israeli prisoners, including women, children, the elderly and the sick, will be exchanged for a number of Palestinian prisoners. The agreement also stipulated a gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from the Gaza Strip.

Related Articles

Back to top button