Reports

Cancellation of applying for a Green Card from within America

The administration of US President Donald Trump announced on Friday that the majority of foreigners seeking to obtain the Green Card, which grants permanent residency in the United States, will have to submit their applications in their countries.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) spokesman Zach Kaler said in a statement: “Starting now, a foreigner temporarily in the United States who wants to obtain a Green Card must return to his country to submit the application, except in exceptional circumstances.”

He continued, “Nonimmigrants, such as students, temporary workers, or people on tourist visas, come to the United States for a short period and for a specific purpose.”

“Our system is designed for them to leave when their visit is over,” he added, explaining, “Their visit should not be the first step in the process of obtaining a Green Card.”

According to the Washington Post, the United States awards more than a million Green Cards every year, and so far more than half of the applicants are in the United States.

Kahler said requiring permanent residency seekers to submit their applications in their home countries “reduces the need to track down and deport those who decide to disappear and remain in the United States illegally after their residency application is denied.”

He pointed out that applications for permanent residency will be handled by the Ministry of State at US consular offices abroad.

Trump pledged in his election campaign to expel millions of irregular immigrants, and his administration has suspended several legal mechanisms that enable people to obtain residency in the United States since he took office.

Related Articles

Back to top button