Reports

UNICEF: 59 children were killed and injured in Lebanon within a week despite the ceasefire

The organization reported In a statement Among them were two children from the same family who were killed on Wednesday morning along with their mother in a raid that targeted their car. She said that these numbers constitute a stark reminder of the grave violations and ongoing risks that children continue to face.

Citing the Ministry of Public Health in Lebanon, UNICEF reported that at least 23 children had been killed and 93 others injured since the ceasefire came into effect, bringing the total toll since March 2 to 200 children killed and 806 injured – the equivalent of about 14 children killed or injured every day.

Edward Bigbeder, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, said: “Children are being killed and injured when they should be returning to school, playing with their friends, and recovering from months of fear and turmoil.”

He continued, saying: “About a month ago, an agreement was reached to silence the weapons and stop the violence, but reality proves exactly the opposite. Continuing attacks kill and injure children, exacerbate their suffering from trauma, and leave devastating effects that may last a lifetime.”

UNICEF called on all parties to protect children, adhere to international humanitarian law, and take all necessary measures to ensure the continuation of the ceasefire.

An international welcome to the Lebanese-Israeli talks

On the other hand, the United Nations expressed its hope that the latest round of direct talks between Lebanon and Israel – scheduled to be held in Washington today and tomorrow – will contribute to reaching an effective and permanent ceasefire and pave the way towards lasting peace.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) reported that it continues to monitor significant air and military activity throughout its area of ​​operations, which included Israeli forces carrying out several air strikes yesterday, Wednesday, in areas located within the western and eastern sectors.

UNIFIL also reported monitoring about 455 shooting incidents attributed to Israeli forces, and six projectile trajectories attributed to Lebanese non-governmental parties, including Hezbollah. UNIFIL also monitored three cases of interception of projectiles over its area of ​​operations.

During the daily press conference, UN Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq renewed the call for all parties to exercise maximum restraint, ensure the protection of civilians and humanitarian workers, and fully comply with their obligations under international humanitarian law.

Related Articles

Back to top button