Britain is considering excluding Andrew from the line of succession to the throne

Reuters quoted a British official as saying, on Friday, that the government will consider new legislation to exclude Andrew Mountbatten Windsor from the line of succession to the British throne as soon as the current investigation conducted by the police into his relationship with the late American businessman Jeffrey Epstein, who was convicted of committing many crimes, ends.
The official, who requested anonymity, added that any changes in the order of succession to the British throne will require consultation and agreement with other countries headed by King Charles, Andrew’s brother.
The arrest of this former prince, who is eighth in line to ascend the throne, constitutes a precedent in the modern era. Charles I, who was beheaded in 1649 after being convicted of treason, was the last member of the royal family to be arrested in Britain.
This comes as British police searched Andrew’s former palace yesterday, Friday.
Police arrested Andrew on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of conduct and business violations while holding public office due to allegations that while he was a trade envoy he sent secret government documents to Epstein.
The authorities released the former prince pending investigation after the police detained him for more than 10 hours without formally bringing any charges against him.
Andrew denied any wrongdoing regarding Epstein, a convicted felon who died in a New York prison in 2019 in an incident deemed a suicide, and said he regretted their friendship, but the US government’s publication of millions of documents showed that he remained friends with Epstein for a long time after the latter’s conviction.
These files indicated that Andrew sent Epstein reports to the British government about investment opportunities in Afghanistan and assessments of Vietnam, Singapore and other countries he visited in his capacity as the government’s special representative for trade and investment.
Commenting on Andrew’s arrest, King Charles, who stripped his brother of the title of prince and forced him to leave his home in Windsor last year, said on Thursday that he received the news of his arrest “with great concern.”
He added, “Let me say it clearly: The law must take its course… The next step now is a complete, fair and proper process through which the competent authorities investigate this case in the appropriate manner.”
Although the arrest of the former prince means that the police have reasonable suspicions that a crime has been committed, and that he is accused of involvement in a crime, this does not mean that he is guilty.
Conviction of misconduct in public office carries a penalty of up to life imprisonment, and cases must be dealt with at the Crown Court, which hears the most serious criminal offences.
- For more: Follow Khaleejion 24 Arabic, Khaleejion 24 English, Khaleejion 24 Live, and for social media follow us on Facebook and Twitter




